April Brown and Stream Etiquette

Here is my latest painting called the "April Brown".  Taken from a picture I took while on my last fishing trip to a stretch of river in the foothills of South Carolina.  It, of course, is a watercolor that is about 11"x14" in size and as with most of my other paintings, it is for sale.  Just email me for purchasing information.  Rest assured that all proceeds will go to feed my fishing addiction.  And if you can not afford the original, prints are also available.

I would also like to take a moment to talk about stream side etiquette.  I would suspect that most of the anglers that visit this site on a fairly regular basis already abide by set of un-written rules while fishing a small stream but some times these rules need to be put down into the record for the few that do not already know them.
I would like post just a one of these rules of mine for the record.
Don't Stand In My Pool While I'm Fishing IT!!!!
Seriously, my brother and I are the only two on the entire stretch of river for a mile and this guy (who is old enough to know better) walks up, does a bit of small talk and then slides into the stream RIGHT NEXT TO ME!  Where he is standing is where I caught three fish about two minute before he showed up.  WHO DOES THAT?  I honestly just stood there for a minute and stared at him then I cast over him a few times to see if he got the point.  Short answer...Nope. 
Disgusted I made a point of letting him know that there wasn't enough room there for the two of us and I moved down stream.  After all the fish where biting all over and not just in this pool.
My brother on the other hand decided that a point needed to be made and he took my spot and hassled the guy for quite a while longer.  He still didn't get it.  Really I am just at a loss.

And one final note,  This guy might look like he is tying on a fly but he is not.  Yes it is a fly rod with fly reel and fly line but that thing he is tying on is not a fly, a nymph, or a streamer.  Its not a jig or a spinner either.  Nope, this guy is squashing on a big lump of POWER BAIT.  He then proceeded to gut hook a lot less fish than I was catching on a fly.  Bait does have its place in fishing and I have used it on other fish and you can call me a snooting fly fisherman, but it does not belong at the end of fly line.  Esspecialy when the fish will bite on anything you throw in the water.  And then you wait for the fish to completely swallow it before you set the hook?  Again I am at a loss.  I guess you can't fix stupid.  Please people, take a lesson from the idiots of the world.  Don't be this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment