It's been a while...


Well, I know its been a while since I've added anything but the month of December turned out to be way more busy with school and work than I had expected. Needless to say, my fishing time was pretty much non-existent. Thank god I had a nice break over the holidays where I was able to get out a little. I flew out of Vancouver and after two more days of driving, I finally ended up at the destination - the Green River in the northeast corner of Utah. Here I met up with one of my good friends and his dad for a trip that we had been planning for months. The food, beer, and fishing were incredible but it was the great company that made the trip.


This is the first time I've been to this part of the Green and it definitely lived up to its expectations. I'd have to rank it up there with one of the most beautiful floats I've been on. The fishing was "ok" - we caught a bunch of fish in the 14-16" range and lost a few bigger guys. We also lucked out with the weather because anyone who has been to that part of the country knows of the weather's unpredictability.We chose to float the A-section; which stretches from the Flaming Gorge Dam about 8-10 miles downstream. They call this section the aquarium and I have to say, that is pretty spot on. Rarely do you see water with this clarity...and because it's so clear you see a lot of fish!


Winter fishing is one of my favorite times of the year. You can usually count on having an entire section of river to yourself, at least for the most part. I think we counted four boats on this section of river during our trip but if you floated it in the summer it would probably more closely resemble the LA freeway. Winter fishing can also be tough and physically demanding. There were times during the day when the fish seemed to be eating only small midges, and by small I mean sizes 22-26. You know you've done something right when you land a fish on a size 24 midge. The best part of the day, however, came on the streamer fishing. These fish hit with absolute anger. We ended up catching quite a few fish on streamers, probably more than when we nymphed.

Hopefully we will all get the opportunity to make another X-mas break fishing trip. I'm not sure if we will go back to the same spot but to be honest, I don't really care where we go, as long as we're fishing!

To see the rest of the pics from the trip, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment